Friday, December 6, 2013

Spinach Quiche

This is actually called Spinach-Ricotta Pie from Moosewood Cookbook, but I generally don't use ricotta and I think of it more as a quiche so... I'll give the original recipe (which I don't think I've ever tried, so I can't say how it is, except that everything I've had from this cookbook tasted great), and then I'll tell you what I usually do :-)

Crust
1 cp flour (all AP or mostly AP and some whole wheat)
1/3 cp cold butter
3 T cold buttermilk (or water)

Cut butter into flour (I also add some salt). Add buttermilk and stir. Form a disk and cover with plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour.

Filling
1/2 lb chopped spinach
1 small, diced onion
butter
black pepper
salt
1/2 tsp basil
1 lb ricotta cheese
3 beaten eggs (I just crack them into the bowl)
3 T flour
1/2 cp grated sharp cheese
dash nutmeg
1 cp sour cream
paprika

Preheat oven to 375F. Roll out crust and put in pie pan or quiche form. Sautee first six ingredients. Mix everything together, blending well. Spread into unbaked pie shell. Top with sour cream, spreading to edges of crust. Sprinkle with a generous amount of paprika. Bake for 40-45 minutes and serve piping hot.

Other options:

  • use cottage cheese instead of ricotta
  • use a combination of cottage cheese (about 1 cup) and feta (about 7 oz)
  • use feta only
  • use feta and cheddar cheese
  • use a block of cream cheese (or neufchatel) mixed with some yogurt instead of the sour cream
  • use more spinach (I've used 12 oz to 24 oz! In the last case, I should have added another egg.)
If you try anything else, please let me know!

No comments: