Monday, March 8, 2010

Gingerbread Men

I misplaced this recipe and had to do without these cookies this past Christmas. I was so depressed! I got them from someone's wonderful Christmas Cookie website when I lived in Germany, but the website doesn't exist anymore. I tried another recipe that seemed similar, but it was no replacement. I finally cleaned my room today for the first time in, well, let's just say several months, and there it was in a pile of papers! Yeah! These are the best--very easy to work with and delicious!

1 cp shortening
1 egg
2 T vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cp granulated sugar
1 cp molasses
5 cp sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar. Sift together dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture. Chill 3 hours. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut in shapes. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 374F for 5 to 6 minutes. Cool slightly on cookie sheet and then remove to rack. Makes about 5 dozen.

No comments: